Eleanor Banfield // Sweetening Violence

    At first I was sweetening the imagery of the ormers being prepared in the kitchen to make it more acceptable for me to watch however not everyone shares the disgust at them being killed and cooked on camera. My aim is to get people to experience the same feeling I have towards this food, the sweet nostalgia surrounding them from past memories of cooking them as a family vs my feeling towards them now that I don't eat meat anymore.

    I will sweeten the imagery using bright colours reminiscent of vaporwave style graphics and video games such as Cyber Punk. This will take the ormers out of context and dress them up to be bright and happy videos. By comparing them to video games and sci fi it gives more people something familiar and nostalgic to compare them to from pop culture. and therefore mimicking the familiar feeling I have for them if in a different way. 

    By showing the sweetened version alongside clips of the original footage it makes the original feel more violent than before and much less appealing in colour and movement. hopefully enough to 

Vapor wave - electronic music subgenre
neon signs against dark backgrounds
Cyberpunk 'Night City' inspiration, the colours and neon look gives a glossy look to the game, these images are very busy with lots going on which gives it a post modern/sci fi feeling.

    I will be using After effects to change the levels on the ormer and to cut the background away so I can take it out of the context of the kitchen. The kitchen makes it more acceptable to view as people excuse the violence because the animal will become useful to us by becoming food. By removing the kitchen for much of the video I will remove that safety net, making the demise of the ormer seem more brutal to a wider audience.

-Eleanor






Popular Posts