AMIE//RESEARCH/EXAMPLES OF HAPTIC VISUALITY

 
'Haptic Visuality: Touching with the Eyes' by Suzanne, 2017
                                        'Jane Campion - Haptic Visuality' by Georgia Console, 2018

 In my practice I explore the interaction and relationship between the body, technology and nature by challenging the senses and perception of the viewer. I use video and sound to explore my environment and magnify the beauty within nature for the viewer to explore their senses and perception. I am interested in bringing the viewer into the artwork by creating an embodied experience for them.  During this project rather than going outside and filming the footage myself, using my own body and camera, I am interested in reversing this and using found footage instead, explore other’s bodies and relationship to their cameras to see if I can challenge the senses in a different way.  How can I invoke a SENSE other than visual through video and found footage to create a narrative for my audience? How can I create an embodied experience for the viewer through found footage?  

Researching into 'Haptic Visuality' has been very useful and I came across these two videos. 'Haptic Visuality: Touching with the Eyes' and 'Jane Campion - Haptic Visuality' on youtube which have given me some interesting ideas and has enabled me to envisage how I can achieve my questions of what kind of shots to look for when finding what footage to appropriate. In the first one by Suzanne it is from a child's perspective and the second one is more from an onlookers perspective and is more cinematic. 

I need to think about what feeling or sensation I am looking to invoke and I am leaning towards pleasure and power due to the current post-pandemic times.

Popular Posts