EVELYN//RESEARCH OF DEVELOPMENT IDEAS: 'SELECTIVE BLINDNESS'

 In the last post, I introduced my initial ideas of humans' brains and time. While I did more research, our brains are not only can control the speed of time, also control what we see. At the same time, in the same situation, different people can see different things. 

This is a development of my previous post. I got ideas from London tubes initially and wanted to make videos about time. The focus changed that I found the point of 'Humans' mind' or 'Humans' Brain' controlling the behaviours more interesting. Therefore, I would like to explore how our brains lie to us visually, dig into the science and psychology areas.

Simons and Chabris's science experiment (1999), 'The invisible Gorilla' is a selective attention test. Video on YouTube. The test lets viewers count how many times people in white pass the ball. The result is most people get the correct answer 15 times, but seldom notice the gorilla passes through. Our brains lie to us. When we concentrate on one thing, our brain might select to see one particular and let us believe there is no 'gorilla'. Even though it does exist.




Reference:

SIMONS, D. (1999) Selective Attention Test form Simons & Chabris (1999). [Online video] Available from: Simons & Chabris's Selective Attention Test 1999. [Accessed by 17/01/2022]

Popular Posts