EVELYN//INSPIRATION: 'TIME & DIRECTIONS'

During the period of the recent pandemic, I have a stronger feeling of time flow. Especially, when I travel to London and take tabes, with no internet underneath.

Looking at the work 'The Clock' by Christian Marclay, the idea of time is simple but impressive. His thought about time, 'when you engage with time, it goes quickly; If you are bored, time seems endless.' It is an interesting point to develop. I am curious how humans' minds control time, how they feel about time. 



A screenshot of Christian Marclay's work, The Clock, on the Tate website.

At the same time, I found that somehow humans' mind is strong enough to determine what they see. For example, a very hot topic, 'Are you seeing the tube goes right or left?', if your mind is concentrated, you can determine what direction it goes. As an artist, I experimented with it. I found that I can control what way it goes, also how fast it runs. That's interesting! I want to create an artwork that people can interact with, and have different experiences.

As a starting point, I searched for videos of a London tube on Storyblocks and people engaging in different activities. I will use the same length of footage but provide different feelings of the time. Some feel time goes quickly and some feel the time is endless. This work will focus on visual experience.


A video of London tube was downloaded from the Storyblocks website.

Evelyn

Reference:

1. TATE (2019) CHRISTIAN MARCLAY: THE CLOCK. [Online] Available from: The Clock. [Accessed by 16/01/2022]

2.  GEORGETHEFOURTH (2017) LONDON, UK - 8 MARCH 2017: London Underground tube train arrives on the Victoria Line Southbound platform of Kings Cross Station. [Online] Available from: Storyblocks-London Tube. [Accessed by 16/01/2022]

Popular Posts