AMIE// CURRENT READING & IDEA DEVELOPMENT//WORKING PROGRESS

This is a working progress video I made using found footage exploring the sense of touch and imagery that isn't the body but could represent the body. 

Also experimenting with editing styles of movement from frame to frame. 

 


 


CURRENT READING:

 
Rodríguez Muñoz, B. and Whitechapel Art Gallery (eds.) (2020). Health. Documents of contemporary art. London : Cambridge, Massachusetts: Whitechapel Gallery ; The MIT Press.

Chapter: Martin Herbert: Undivided Attention: On the Art of Luke Folwer//2012//p.79



This section of the book interested me as I am exploring the process of using a combination of archival footage and modern footage. 

'The low fidelity archival film footage also provides a gritty, dusty, and anarchic rendering of Laing’s post-war Glasgow punctuated by Fowler’s original and highly personal visual refrains depicting colorful, textured abstract landscapes and poetic, subtle imagery.'

Available from: https://cinemaproject.org/archive/screenings/2012/fall/luke-fowler (n.d.). Cinema Project - All Divided Selves by Luke Fowler [online]. [Accessed 31 January 2023].
 
 

Anon (n.d.). Luke Fowler: All Divided Selves. Whitechapel Gallery [online]. Available from: https://www.whitechapelgallery.org/events/luke-fowler-all-divided-selves/ [Accessed 31 January 2023].

 

 


Herbert, M. (2012). UNDVIDED ATTENTION: THE ART OF LUKE FOWLER. Artforum. Vol. 51 No. 2 [online]. Available from: https://www.artforum.com/print/201208/undvided-attention-the-art-of-luke-fowler-34523 [Accessed 31 January 2023].
 

The context also interested me as I have been exploring 'mental health' as a subject within my work for some time, in particular in relation to the senses and 'sensory overload'. How the senses can be explored through video, i.e, 'haptic visuality' through my last video, Sens, created on the residency last year and in my last project I explored my own sensory issues in relation to when I am in a busy place. I used sound recordings from a trip to London, somehwhere I find overwhelming and coupled it with imagery of nature, somewhere I find as a retreat in my mind when I am experiencing 'sensory overload'. 

 

 


CURRENT WATCHING:

The Turner Prize 2012, 19:30 03/12/2012, Channel 4, 30 mins. https://learningonscreen.ac.uk/ondemand/index.php/prog/02E04898?bcast=92121327 (Accessed 30 Jan 2023)

The Turner Prize returns for another year, recognising outstanding exhibitions of 2012. Established in 1984 and awarded to a British artist under fifty years of age, the 25,000 pound prize will be presented by Jude Law. Hosted by Lauren Laverne, the programme features profiles of the nominated artists, Paul Noble, Elizabeth Price, Luke Fowler and Spartacus Chetwynd. Guest panellists will also discuss this prestigious prize backstage, including comedian Noel Fileding and art critic Adrian Searle.

This programme interested me because it features the work of two artists I have been researching; Elizabeth Price and Luke Fowler. For their ways of editing archival footage. 



Tate (dir.) (2018). Elizabeth Price | Turner Prize Winner 2012 | Tate [Film].
Available from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srhcNFMbSk0 
 
She speaks of retaining aspects of history which is something I would like to explore within this residency. I like the way she moves through using different forms and genres; 'presentation', 'cinematic melodrama', 'infomercials' and collages it together. I am not surprised that her videos take a year to make! She also explores looking at video as a means of exploring things sensually, which relates directly with what I am aiming for within my practice. By moving through these different 'genres' she creates a feeling and nostalgia.

 

 

 

 



Popular Posts