KATIE KELLY / GROWTH AND DESTRUCTION EXPERIMENTATION

 I am interested in creating utopian views of the natural world that can be interpreted as sci-fi future worlds. I had the idea to create contrasting clips of an idyllic view of the natural world versus the reality that parts of the world or living in or what the world will someday become. 

I found footage of nature growing and thriving in its natural environment and in the final video edited the colour to enhance the view and make it more romanticised and beautiful, including a forest, the growth of fern, dandelions and mushrooms.





I then wanted to bring in footage of climate crisis and the world being destroyed around us to add a contrasting element to the nature footage. In the final video, I added a faded film and dark blue colour filters to add a sense of dullness and misery about this contrasting world.



However I liked these contrasting clips, I felt like this video needed a start and an end. I decided to add a clip of a zoom in of earth at the beginning to show what it could look like versus what humans are doing to destroy it. At the end, I found footage of an explosion and a destroyed planet crumbling apart and I thought it would be perfect at the end of the video to show the fate of our planet if something isn't done soon.


This piece in part of an experiment I wanted to do to see what I could make with video archives as it is something that I haven't done before. I used youtube, pixabay and pexels for these videos as I wanted to experiment with their content and see what I could find.  I plan to research artists on this topic and find more ideas to create something more developed.








Popular Posts