Daisy // Developing ideas and research

 Looking at the post on critical animal theory that Simona posted there where a couple of books written by Aph Ko suggested, so I found an interview with her.  http://laikamagazine.com/interview-aph-ko-and-syl-ko/ “‘Animal’ is a category that we shove certain bodies into when we want to justify violence against them,” writes Aph with this divide between the human and non-human animal with race and societal class. Which fits in with this idea of the fox as a symbol of hunting which historically was an elitist white male upper class sport. Is the domination of the fox representing this class domination and with the banning of fox hunting we see society trying to redistribute the power from top through to the working class.

Trying to situate my work I like the idea of using the fox as the vessel of this human societal structure. Looking more into the symbolism of foxes in some cultures foxes are shown as spirit guides with them even being shapeshifters taking human form. So, using the footage that I have been looking at it reverses the roles.

I have been collecting footage that could be seen from the perspective of a fox to play around with and I’m testing whether I will put it in a sequence with the wild fox slowly becoming more human until it turns into the human or have this split view between the humans eyeline and the foxes eyeline.

Developing my ideas using the symbolism of foxes I liked the idea of the fox representing this coming of the working class from the fringes of society and wilderness representing the separation but still conforming to fit within the disjointed society. Looking through this the loneliness of the fox didn’t seem to fit in and finding more footage of foxes I have come across a few containing foxes and their cubs however foxes are solitary creatures so the only time they are in this sort of ‘packs’ is when they have cubs. This sort of reminded me of how it seems when family and friends have had babies, they feel this sense of separation from their environment whilst existing within it like the fox in the video. I want to play with this disconnect of self from body and environment using the fox as this shapeshifter going through the monotony of an everyday activity of going shopping.



Popular Posts