KATIE // ARTIST RESEARCH - ALEXANDRA DAISY GINSBERG

 




Researching more into ecology in science fiction, I discovered the Serpentine Galleries article on: 'Ecological World-Building: From Science Fiction to Virtual Reality' where I found the artist Alexandra Daisy Ginsberg.

Her exhibition 'The Wilding of Mars' imagines a planet uncolonised by humans and instead flourishing with plants. She erases the concept that other planets are there to be colonised by humans and creates a life for mars that thrives without the need for humans. 

"The aim is not to terraform Mars: it is a repository for the mechanism of life."

The term terraform was unfamiliar to me, however I discovered it to mean the transformation of a planet to resemble earth, mainly used in science fiction.

Ginsberg captures the exact concept that I have been trying to create in my work: a world where humans are not the protagonist and plant life exists in its natural environment idealistically without the colonisation or destruction of humans. She creates a utopia that lets nature form a natural art scape in a place untouched by humanity.

This artist has greatly inspired me however, I plan to research more on colour schemes that create a more dream-like environment and inspired by sci-fi imagery.

https://vimeo.com/350723399



Popular Posts