KATIE // RESEARCH - LATVIAN/BALTIC MYTHOLOGY

 After discovering two artists (Jakob Kudsk Steensen and Eva L'Hoest) who are inspired by Latvian mythology, I wanted to research more into this topic to see if I could be inspired by anything I discover.

Mythology in Latvia derived from the Baltic religions and tribes from the 13th century. 

'Baltic Mythology was formed by the pagan gods, beliefs and traditions that were popular among the many Baltic tribes that lived in the territories occupied today by Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, part of Poland and part of the Prussian Germany.  Nature is a main element in this mythology, as the gods are often related to natural elements such as the sun, the moon or the forest, and they are usually portrayed as members of the same family, or related by love and friendship.'

I really admired that they consider nature to be god-like and worship deities inspired by different aspects of nature. This is an ancient religion that got lost in christianity and paganism, however in the world we live in with the decline of nature, this could be a concept that may help people understand our roots with the natural world and I can see why so many artists have been inspired by this.

Steensen creates a future world inspired by this mythology, suggesting that it may be the answer to imagine a future that includes nature.

I am not sure how to incorporate this into my work yet and I am struggling to find a lot of information online about Baltic and Latvian mythologies therefore I plan to try and gather more research about this topic, possibly trying to find books on the topic.

Popular Posts