KATIE// VIDEO EDIT FEEDBACK - DEVELOPMENT

 My latest video edit involves a combination of a microscopic view on nature and the growth of nature including mycelium, mushrooms and mould. My aim for the video is to create a utopian world where nature is the protagonist showing that the nature is an alive and powerful force. The viewer is taken on a journey into this world initially through the form of entering the inside of a leaf. Using a microscopic view of nature, I intend to make the viewer feel small compared to the intricate forms of the natural world. I also used vibrant and saturated colours to romanticise the perspective of nature, allowing the viewer to find it more visually enhancing and intimidating. It is also how I imagine a future world where nature is allowed to thrive to its fullest potential without the poisoning of humans. 

Feedback:

Narrative: The beginning works narratively that begins the viewers journey into the insides of nature.  There may be confusion where some aspects are close up and some are more zoomed out. The narrative shows a small world contained or something new is growing or being born. It is inviting someone on a trip into this world. There is a shift at the end where the direction of the growth changes as if is going off on its own. Think of where the viewer is travelling and why.

I feel that I need to work more on making my ideas of a narrative show visually through my video in order to help the viewer understand where they are travelling and why. I am considering adding text to the beginning to explain more, similar to how Alexandra Daisy Ginsberg uses for her video 'The Wilding of Mar's'. She sets out a concept that mars could be colonised only by plants and flourish without us. She adds this text to the beginning of her video which sets the scene for the whole video to come and allows the viewer to know exactly what this video is about. I also may add an additional clip at the beginning that coheres to the text before diving into the journey of the world. I'm hoping these elements will allow the viewer to understand the role of nature in this video and the scenario of this futuristic world.

Colour: The colour of the video doesn't relate to the sci-fi theme. It creates a more psychedelic feel that sci-fi. I should think more about colour as an actor in the video.

Although I have researched science fiction film, there has not been many films where nature is featured as the protagonist. I am more interested in science fiction literature from Octavia Butler, Ursula K. Le Guin and Donna Haraway. Especially Haraway and her creation of the Chthulucene she creates in Staying with the Trouble. The book is highly nature orientated and creates a future world where nature is an important aspect. I like to visualise a future world inspired from these narratives and use a vibrant colour palette to visualise this with nature. I am also inspired visually by cyberpunk art and video games, showing a colourful and vibrant combination of colours.

Sound: The sound works well to bring in the sci-fi element however sounds like a loop and could use more variation in sink with the video.

I plan to develop the sound further and add variations within certain elements to enhance the effect of the video. I also want to experiment with combining nature sounds to the sci-fi sound.

Popular Posts